|Position Title||President, AMHP Board of Directors|
Position Summary: The President provides leadership to the AMHP Board of Directors in meeting all of their responsibilities in accordance with AMHP bylaws and ensures the Board conducts business effectively.
Duties and Responsibilities: The President will perform duties, such as, but not limited to (including any other duties and responsibilities outlined in AMHP’s bylaws):
- Board Meetings: Leads and facilitates board meetings by setting agenda and making sure that the agenda is closely followed, according to accepted rules of order for the purposes of encouraging all members to participate in the discussion and arriving at decisions in an orderly, timely and democratic manner.
- Strategic Planning: Coordinate the implementation of the long term strategic planning and goal setting process for the organization in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Board Development: Work with Executive Secretary and staff to ensure that structures and procedures are in place for effective recruitment, training, and evaluation of Board members.
- Fundraising: Guides the work of the Board to secure funds for the organization by overseeing the development of fundraising policies, encouraging and supporting the fundraising efforts of the development committee and individual Board Members, soliciting contributions from Board Members and selected outside contributors, and setting an example by contributing his or her own funds to the organization.
- Board–Staff Relations: Serves as the primary liaison between the Board and the Executive Director. The President will communicate frequently with the Executive Director, assuring that the internal operations of the organization are conducted effectively. He/She is also responsible for the annual performance review of the Executive Director with input from staff and board members.
- Board Committees: Depending upon AMHP’s needs and strategic planning goals, the President may establish additional committees of the Board, and may assign tasks and delegate responsibilities to Board committees, staff and/or members. Chairs Executive Committee meetings.
- This position will require approximately 6-10 hours per month.
- Attend all Board meetings on a monthly basis, or as required. Board members are expected to attend at least 75% of all regularly scheduled meetings.
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in a health-related field with experience in leadership positions.
- High energy and passion for AMHP’s mission and vision are essential.
- Strong communication skills, ability to lead and motivate board members and leadership experience in a non-profit organization are an asset.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player to productively engage with others.
Additional Expectations: While upholding the highest standards of fiscal oversight, resource development, and governance, AMHP board members are also expected to consistently deepen their knowledge and understanding about AMHP’s work and act with the utmost integrity. Additional expectations include:
- Have the most up-to-date knowledge and understanding of AMHP’s mission, goals, and activities.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all board deliberations.
- Accept board decisions, and speak outside of the board with one voice after a decision has been made.
- Demonstrate support in the community for the organization and its staff.
- Be willing to use individual expertise as needed by staff for specific research, communications, outreach, and development or operations gaps.
- Act on behalf of the organization and its interests, putting aside personal concerns, affiliations, or constituencies.
- Speak on behalf of the organization only when authorized to do so.
- Be aware of AMHP’s conflict of interest policy and abide by it.