Chapter Development Director, AMHP Board
Overview of Organization
American Muslim Health Professionals (AMHP) is a national nonprofit organization focused on professional development, health education centered around the unique needs of American-Muslims, and advocacy for minorities and underserved communities. Since the organization’s founding in 2004, AMHP has been at the forefront of public health and policy issues—mobilizing Muslims during the health reform debates at the start of the Obama Administration, championing community-based anti-obesity measures, creating resources for disabled Muslims and elevating the discussion on mental health. AMHP was one of 14 organizations invited to a private round-table meeting with President Obama and other senior officials at the White House in February 2015.
Mission: To empower Muslim health professionals to improve the health of Americans
Vision: To be a leader in improving public health, through efforts inspired by the Islamic tradition
The role of Chapter Development Director is a volunteer position, where the incumbent will have the opportunity to serve as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting AMHP. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build AMHP’s visibility and impact and direct activities between national and all official chapters.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Chapter Development Director will perform duties, such as, but not limited to (including any other duties and responsibilities outlined in AMHP’s bylaws):
- Accountable to the AMHP Board of Directors, as specified in the bylaws
- Will attend all Board meetings on a monthly basis, or as required. AMHP Executive and Board members are expected to attend at least 75% of all regularly scheduled meetings
- Will also attend periodic meetings with committee chairpersons, the President and the Executive Director to draft annual and meeting agendas and reporting schedules
Facilitate Information Flow
- Will facilitate the flow of information and interaction between the chapters and between the chapters and national team
- Build and maintain relationships with chapter leaders by establishing regular contact and traveling to chapter meetings as necessary
- Develop policy and procedures regarding interaction between AMHP national and it’s chapters
- Develop general policies and procedures as the needs of AMHP national and it’s chapters expand
Oversee Networking and Other Chapter Events
- Assists chapters to enhance local activities, including education, membership development, public relations, and grassroots efforts
- Assist in publicity and marketing for events and programs
- Assist with the identification and development of new project ideas that will benefit the chapters and the membership
- Assist in the review process of chapter finances
- Develop necessary policies and procedures regarding the review of chapter finances
- Identify any issues that may arise and enforce chapter suspension if necessary and approved by board
- Oversee membership recruitment efforts
- This position will require approximately 10-12 hours per month.
- The Chapter Development Director is also expected to attend special functions and events, as required (which may require travel).
Education, Experience and Professional Designation
- A minimum of a Bachelor degree with experience in leadership and management positions. Leadership, management and fundraising experience in a non-profit organization is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Computer skills such as: MS Office Suite, databases, spreadsheets, e-mail, the Internet, etc.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional project management skills
- Must be able to function as part of a team
- Capable of setting priorities when multiple demands are present
The Chapter Development Director will demonstrate competence in all of the following:
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new/unique ways to improve the outreach of AMHP and to create new opportunities.
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, ensure his/her own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards, and aligns with the values of AMHP.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of AMHP.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Board, Staff and Membership Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of the AMHP Board, staff and membership to meet or exceed their expectations within AMHP’s parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of AMHP.
- Decision-Making: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions that are timely and in the best interests of AMHP.
- Organize: Set priorities and monitor progress towards AMHP’s goals.
- Problem-Solving: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.