Advocacy Resources to Prevent Repeal of ACA
23-hour Interfaith Vigil to Protect Medicaid
Dr. Sarah Kureshi represented AMHP at the vigil where leaders of different faiths gathered to protest the repeal of the ACA.
Dr. Kureshi: “There’s a saying of Prophet Muhammad about how the community is like a body; when one part feels pain, the whole body responds to that pain. Similarly, when the most marginal and underprivileged in our community are hurting, forgotten, downtrodden, or neglected it is OUR responsibility to respond with love, kindness and empathy, because their pain IS our pain… It is our responsibility to protect the vulnerable and fight against this bill that basically will result in big tax cuts, big cut in federal health spending and big increase in the uninsured. We cannot afford to go backwards. Too many lives are riding on the outcome of this.”
Dr. Sarah Kureshi delivering speech at vigil at Capitol Lawn.
Talking Points to Senators
The Senate healthcare repeal bill makes health care worse for everyone – it raises costs, cuts coverage, weakens protections, and ends Medicaid as we know it. Based on reports it could:
- Reduce the tax credits that help people in the middle class afford their health care.
- Allow insurance companies to charge up to five times as much for people over 50.
- Let insurance companies deny coverage for maternity care, mental health care, and substance
- Dramatically cut treatments for people with opioid disorders.
- Gives hundreds of billions in tax breaks to the wealthy and big corporations.
- Defund Planned Parenthood, which 2.4 million people depend on for care.
ACA Repeal Op-Ed Template & Resources
Below are specific news outlets that are being targeted for op-eds. If you are interested in writing an op-ed, contact email@example.com.
- AZ—Arizona Republic (longer lead), Arizona Daily Star
- AK—Alaska Dispatch, Juneau Empire, Fairbanks Daily News-Miner
- CO—Denver Post, Rocky Mountain News, Pubelo Chieftan
- LA—Baton Rouge Advocate, Times Picayune
- ME—Bangor Daily News, Portland Press Herald
- NV—Reno Gazette Journal (Heller’s hometown paper), Las Vegas Review-Journal
- OH—Cleveland Plain-Dealer, Columbus Dispatch, Cincy Enquirer
- PA— Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Allentown Morning-Call, Philadelphia Daily News
- TN—Tennessean, Knoxville News Sentinel, Commercial Appeal, Chattanooga Times Free Press
- WV— Beckley Register Herald, Charleston Gazette-Mail, Parkersburg News and Sentinel, Weirton Daily Times, Huntington Herald Dispatch
Cincinnati Faith Leaders Appeal to Sen. Portman about Healthcare Repeal
Dr. Abdul Ahmed – a member of AMHP, APPNA AND IMANA – showed his opposition to the current cuts in the healthcare bill by taking part in a vigil outside Senator’s office on Friday morning along with other faith leaders. In addition to the vigil, a letter voicing their concerns was delivered to Sen. Portman.
“Rev. Michelle Torigian, Rabbi Sissy Coran, Dr. Abdul Ahmed, Sister Monica McGloin and Rabbi Michael Danziger spoke on behalf of Christian, Jewish and Islamic communities while Sister Carren Herring attempted to hand-deliver the letter to Sen. Portman.”